Masterclass – Karri Valley Resort
Masterclass with Tony Hewitt at Karri Valley Resort
The 2011 Masterclass had a full compliment of participants and was an outstanding success. The venue was excellent, the weather was kind and the early morning mist on Lake Beedelup performed its magic. We are planning for a “repeat performance” in 2012.
Tony Hewitt, AIPP Grand Master Photographer, Hon Fellow AIPP, and Denis Glennon AO, Member AIPP, present this, the sixth in the Masterclass series “The Evolution of the Photographer”.
The venue is one of Western Australia’s hidden jewels of tranquility – Karri Valley Resort, Pemberton, Western Australia.
Nestled on the edge of trout filled Lake Beedelup and surrounded by majestic karri forests, the natural charm of Karri Valley Resort provides the perfect setting for the focus of this Masterclass. Accommodation for all participants has been reserved in the best twin-share Lakeside rooms, which have private balconies overlooking Lake Beedelup. All rooms at the resort have recently been renovated, are spacious and comfortable with large en-suite bathrooms. Participants desiring to share a chalet with seperate bedrooms, located in a forest setting at the resort, may do so, at no extra cost.
Participants (their spouses/partners/children) wishing to arrive a day early, or linger a day or so longer, may do so. One is reluctant to leave the quietude of Karri Valley and the many photogenic locations nearby and return to the busyness of city life. Why not make it a long weekend?
Photographers living adjacent to Karri Valley who wish to participate in the Masterclass lectures and photo shoots, are welcome. A reduced fee is available for those participants; see below for details.
The dates are: Fri 16th (for dinner), Sat 17th & Sun 18th November 2012.
THEME OF THE MASTERCLASS:
“Learn to see and then you will know there is no end to the worlds of our vision”. [Carlos Casteneda]
The theme for this Masterclass is “The Empowered Observer” and is in keeping with the themes of earlier Masterclasses – “The Quiet Mind”, “The Artist’s Eye”, “Finding The Light”, “The Hidden Dimension”, etc.),
We will explore:
- Without observation there can be no art in an image.
- Why keen observation is right at the foundation of all your photography – the light, the interplay of shapes, colours and tones, dynamics of life in your frame, people’s body language or relations, waiting to make the most of the elements you have available.
- Observation – the most important factor in photographer, alongside composition and the one element we need to be intentional about.
- From landscapes to portraits, from wildlife to weddings, the element of observation never change, only how you apply it.
- How mastering observation sets you on your way to become a thinking photographer, allowing you to photograph with more purpose.
- How intentional observation can help you imbed a sense of story in your images.
- Finding the story within the pixels is possible, but only when it is first observed and imbedded by you.
- Pathways to observing so that you train yourself to exclude everything from your frame that doesn’t have a role in the story you are trying to tell.
- Observing to get visual weight (“What draws the eye?”) in your images.
- How Tony produces pure art from pixels – we will use some of your images as well.
- Photographing the majestic beauty of Karri Valley and nearby landscapes and seascapes, in the best possible light.
ARRIVAL TIME: We plan to arrive at Karri Valley at around 6.00pm on Friday, in time to ‘settle in’, become acquainted with the geography of the resort, ease into the quietude of the lake and forest surrounds, enjoy dinner after which we will have a short informal discussion about the program for the following two days. More complete details on procedures for arrival, and what to take, will be provided to registrants. We plan to finish around 3.30pm on Sunday, so that participants can avoid driving home in the dark.
ACCOMODATION: Accommodation is either on a double occupancy/shared basis in the Lakeside Rooms or in seperate bedrooms in the 2 or 3 bedroom chalets. The cost is the same for both options.
ALL-INCLUSIVE COST: $1250.00 per person, payable on registration. This payment includes:
- Attendance at all Masterclass sessions, early morning and sunset photographic shoots.
- Private transport from Karri Valley Resort to Windy Harbour/Salmon Beach and return, on Sunday afternoon.
- Two nights accommodation.
- Dinner on Friday evening.
- Breakfast/lunch/dinner on Saturday.
- Breakfast/lunch on Sunday.
- Morning/afternoon teas & coffee during the Masterclass.
- Invitation to the private “Masterclass Musings” following dinner on Saturday evening.
COST FOR LOCAL PHOTOGRAPHERS: $745.00 per person.
A number of photographers, resident in the South West, have expressed interest in attending the Masterclass sessions and photographic shoots, but do not require accommodation at the resort, or meals (other than the morning/afternoon coffees during the Masterclass sessions). Please ensure you indicate the selection of this option when registering.
It may be possible to share transport from Perth, depending on home location of participants. We will facilitate this as well as preferences for sharing rooms, as far as possible, when registrations are received.
HOW TO REGISTER
The cost of either option is payable in full, on registration.
You may use Visa or MasterCard, or PayPal.
You will automatically receive a receipt upon payment.
This receipt is also your confirmation of registration; please retain it in a safe place.
To register, please use the small arrow to select either the “All Inclusive Registration” or “Local Photographer Registration”. Then click the “Buy Now” button below and follow the prompts.
Please note registrations will be accepted strictly in the order received. The maximum number of participants in this Masterclass is twelve.
Should you wish to read the Terms & Provisions of Registration, please click: Terms & Provisions of Registration
If you would like to see some of Tony’s photographic work, please click: Tony Hewitt
We look forward to you joining us for what promises to be another rewarding weekend.